New Pinellas County Park Underway

Eagle Lake Park, a 156-acre development at Keene and Belleair roads, is about 50% complete and should be open to the public in about a year. Park construction has been paid for with $7.2 million in Penny funds and two state grants totaling $1.16 million.

The park will offer residents 2.5 miles of paved trails, 1.7 miles of shell foot paths, 293 parking spaces, a playground, a large dog park, 6 picnic shelters, 5 boardwalk viewing decks on ponds, 1,774 feet of boardwalks over wetlands, five vehicle bridges, various types of urban wildlife, such as coyotes, foxes, osprey and red-tailed squirrels. There will be a wetlands restoration area that will re-create the natural flow of water across the property.Entrances will be located on Keene, Belleair and Rosery roads.Roadways will be 22 feet wide and the trails 12 feet – the same as the Pinellas Trail.

The site also includes the Taylor Historical Addition, a 6.6-acre section the county purchased in 2006 for $2.25 million. The former Taylor family home, built in 1910, is being restored, along with a barn and other buildings nearby. They will be open for tours and geared toward school field trips. The park will be staffed with county personnel, including live-in security. The live-in site is a home formerly owned by a member of the Taylor family, which previously owned the land with the Carter family. The two families were among the original settlers in the county.

Park construction has been paid for with $7.2 million in Penny funds and two state grants totaling $1.16 million.